Total Pageviews

Monday, April 13, 2009

Rental Car Games

This was really weird. Tried for a few days to get a rental car deal in Omaha. I knew from past experience that it was unlikely that the deals would get better the closer to day of departure, as had happened in other cities.

Finally got this, (as posted on better bidding.com):

... I've been bidding for awhile now, particularly on compacts, and haven't gotten a win. Previously I had gone up to $17 for a compact. Oddly enough, I bid $18 for a compact first. Got rejected. Changed it to a mid-size and it got accepted. I see here that someone got a mid-size for $15 per day, so now I don't know if I could've done better leaving the compact out of the equation?


Your Offer Price: $18.00 (per day)
Total Rental Days: 5 days
Subtotal: $90.00
Taxes and Fees: $38.40
Total Charges: $128.40
Lowest Published Price: $344.99
Total Savings:* $216.59 (You saved 63%)

The thing to remember here is to keep in mind WHERE you're bidding. In hindsight, I remember that having gotten a rental car in Omaha before, we were offered a choice of TWO cars for compacts. Therefore, it's not crazy that a mid-size would be accepted when a compact would not. It's all about supply and demand.

I will say that I had bid this same bid a couple times and it had been rejected. Notably: this changed exactly two weeks before departure. Perhaps would've even gone done more a week before? That theory was tested last trip and it did not, for Omaha. It HAS for other cities. So, it really just depends.

It's all a GAME. A fun, fun game.

No comments:

Post a Comment