Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Travel as a Gift!

I wanted to surprise my husband with something special for his birthday in April of 2006. He is a huge Lord of the Rings fan. Searching the internet, I discovered that a stage production of Lord of the Rings was being presented in Toronto. I quickly did a search, but was sad to discover that airfare was well over $300 per person to Toronto. That was too high for this Bargain Travel Diva. I was going to drop the idea until I remembered that Toronto was not that far from Buffalo. I had gotten great airfare to Buffalo in the past. Sure enough, I was able to find a great rate. I can't remember exactly, but I believe it was around $118 per person round-trip. I then started researching hotels. Got the Westin Harbour Castle (4-star) in downtown Toronto for the Hotwire rate of $67 per night for 3 nights. I then decided it might be fun for him to see Niagara Falls, since he had never seen it before, so I booked us for one night on the way back at the Doubletree Resort Lodge & Spa. This was a 4-star that was $88 thanks to Hotwire. Not one of my better deals, but for Niagara Falls at the time it was the best I could do.

So for my husband's birthday in April of 2006, I gave him two tickets to The Lord of the Rings show. And told him that we were going the following month over our anniversary weekend.

What started off as seeming like an impossibly expensive gift, with some creativity, turned into a reality. We had a GREAT time, and loved Toronto! I managed to survive the show itself, although the cast was lucky I didn't jump down there, grab the darn ring and throw it away!
While we were there, we stumbled upon Second City and went to a show they did that poked fun at Lord of the Rings.

Go peameal bacon!

No comments:

Post a Comment